Finally Sharing Levi’s Delivery Story


Levi was born on May 11th, 2011, at 6:47 am @ 6lbs. 10 oz and 20″. He scored 9/9 on the Apgar test!

The last few weeks of the pregnancy were really truly difficult so I don’t think I did very many posts then. We were going weekly to get fluid drained. They would take about 2 1/2 liters and I would have relief for a couple of days. But towards the end I started having panic attacks (or anxiety attacks, I don’t know what the difference is yet). I didn’t know what they were at first. I saw three different Doctors in one day because I was having trouble breathing and couldn’t get my heart to stop beating into my throat. I was dizzy and sweating and very close to passing out. I have never felt that awful before and truly feel for those who suffer with that all the time.

I'm finally ready to post this pic. Even with this pic, I really don't think it does justice to how HUGE I was.

On Tuesday May 10th, we went in for another treatment. We got home around 5pm and nothing seemed unusual. Some friends had stopped by and so we chatted for a bit then Josh, Jayden, Mom, Dad and I all went out to dinner at Applebee’s. Just as we’re finishing and waiting for our check I feel this “POP!” in my belly and uncomforably realize what is going on. I say, “My water just broke,” and every one just sits there for a second. Someone said, “Seriously?” and I said “yes” at least twice. All I kept thinking was, “How am I going to get up from this chair and walk out of here?”. Finally Mom stands up and starts shaking us all out of our shock and telling us what to do.

She and Dad would take our car with the carseat and take Jayden home, Josh would take me in Dad’s car to the hospital. Dad did the classic “ahhhhh where are my keys” moment (lol).

Luckily when I stood up it wasn’t too bad, but unfortunately on our way out this 90 yr old couple got in front of us and I’m standing there panicking while it takes them a full 2 min to walk down 2 steps. I was trying to be polite but the first second I could I said to the younger Mom who was with them, “Um, excuse me, my water broke.” She smiles and says, “Oh how exciting! You’re going to have a baby!” before the look of realization crosses her face and she pushes her son out of my way and hurries me past them all.

Poor Josh was simply panicking. I wasn’t even contracting yet but losing almost 5 liters of fluid in the car was disgusting to say the least (luckily Dad had blankets and towels in the car but still-it was the most disgusting thing I think I’ve ever done!).  There was a moment when Josh had to pull over and get out for a minute and breathe because the whole thing was making him dizzy. He only did this after I told him, “Josh, I’m not even having contractions.  This baby isn’t coming in the 30 minutes.  We can slow down a bit.” Haha!

When we got to the hospital, there were no labor rooms left, so they put me back in the same small room I had been in 3 hours before that for my treatment.

My labor progressed quickly.  I had already decided to get an epidural.  I didn’t want to earlier in my pregnancy because I suspected the reason I ended up with a C-section with my first was because of the epidural and I wanted a natural birth.  But the Doctors all said I really should get one because if anything goes wrong and they have to rush me into an emergency C-section, the seconds spent getting the epidural would be wasted and they’d probably have to put me under.  They kept saying, “Every second wasted puts the life of both you and your baby in jeopardy.”
When the epidural hit me, I got really talkative and I realized I had been in so much pain for so many months I didn’t even realize there was a better way to feel!  I pushed for 2 hours but I could not get him to move down.  After 2 hours of pushing, and literally trying everything, my contractions stopped.  I don’t know why.  I think my body was exhausted and done.  The Doctor said we could wait and see if they returned, but I was so exhausted and worried so I just went ahead with the C-section.  My Mom and Mother in Law cried with me because they knew how badly I wanted to avoid that and how hard I had tried.
The C-section took a really long time, but after it was done they let us see him and then took him to the NICU and me to recovery where I apologized a hundred times for snoring whenever I fell asleep (lol).  The Doctor who did my C-section came in and said I should really consider never getting pregnant again.  She said I had so much scar tissue from the last one that it took her a really long time to work through it and if they brought me to her next time, she’d refuse to do it.
When I had recovered enough to be moved to the Mom and Baby wing, the nurses did me a HUGE favor and rolled me in my bed into the NICU to see him.  That was the first time I got to hold him.

This is not that moment, but this is one of the earliest pics of us together.

By the next morning, I was trying to get out of bed and the nurses kept telling me really nice things about how hard I was working.  One nurse even said, “If I ever have to have a c-section, I hope I recover like you.  You’re so brave and determined.”  That was really nice.  After 3 days, I was ready to go home but I talked the Doctor into one more day so that I could stay close to Levi.  During the 4th day, the hospital was able to get us a free room to stay in.  I think we stayed there for a week until someone else needed it too. After that, we went back and forth from the cheap hotel near the hospital to back in the hospital room again, to home, depending on what was going on with Levi.  The longer we were there the more the nurses bent rules to help us out.  I still keep in touch with some of those nurses.  And well, the rest you know!
Anyway, that’s what I remember about my L&D story from this far out.  I actually started this post on April 27th 2011, but never got around to finishing it.  Tada!
This entry was posted in Discoveries. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *