After more than 26hrs without sleep and only 4 hours of sleep to begin that with, I decided to take some Midol PM and get some rest at about 5am. I slept until 2pm so I haven’t been to the hospital yet but my Mom was there for the last three hours holding him.
Bascially this is where we are…
His blood count levels are back up so they won’t for now need to give him blood. That’s really good because I guess with infants giving them blood makes their own bone marrow stop functioning for about a month.
He’s off all the anti-biotics because his CBC is stabilizing and CRP (these blood test that shows signs of infection or inflammation) has come down.
He only had one small bloody stool last night and hasn’t had one today but he did need Morphine again last night. He seems to need it about every 24 hours.
The Dr.’s have basically given up on looking for now.
The GI specialist suggested the CAT scan a few days ago but the surgeon said, “We wouldn’t even know what to look for that wouldn’t have already shown up on at least one of the other tests” and I guess it would dump a lot of radiation into his little body and he’s already had so many x rays.
So for now we are just waiting to see if the bloody stools and bile in the stomach just miraculously go away.
One Dr. suggested a camera and a biopsy but since things seem to be maybe trending towards an upswing we are just going to wait and see.
I’m headed to the hospital now. Every time I change his diaper I have to gather all my inner strength. If there is blood I start to shake and it takes everything in me to remain composed. I usually calmly finish changing him, while the nurse runs to get the Dr. who then comes to tell me some wordy, lengthy version of, “Yep, he’s bleeding and can’t eat and we don’t know why.” Then I go to the bathroom and sob for 30 seconds, gather myself and go rock my son back to sleep. But at least then I had hope that the tests would show something and there would be a cure. Now I just have to hope for God’s healing because the Dr.’s can’t do it.